Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation

Tuition Waivers

Tuition waivers are available to specific groups and are typically based on government agreements with state-funded institutions. Below are tuition waivers recognized by Harford Community College and how to use them. All documentation must be submitted to the Cashier's Office for approval prior to using the waiver. 

For employees of in-County business

Out-of-county students who have established six months or longer permanent, full-time (a minimum of 32 hours/week) employment at a Harford County business may apply to have their out-of-county or out-of-state tuition waived (difference only between in-county and out-of-county/state tuition) for credit classes. Employment cannot be seasonal in nature. The student must still pay the full consolidated fee and any course fees.

Tuition will be adjusted to the in-county rate once you submit the required documentation and get College approval from the Finance office.

Supporting paperwork must be submitted at the beginning of each semester to apply for the waiver. Once documentation is submitted, allow 5-7 business days for  eligibility to be approved and the waiver applied to your account. Timely submission of paperwork is required as this waiver can not be applied retroactively.

Required Documentation

  • Copies of two recent paystubs (rate of pay can be blacked out; last 4-digits of social security number, name, address, date, and number of hours worked must be visible).
  • A verification letter, signed by an authorized human resources representative of the company, certifying employment. The letter must be dated and on the employer's official letterhead. Copies will not be accepted.

If the employer's letterhead displays an address outside of Harford County, you must submit an Employer In-County Waiver Form with the appropriate information completed and signed by an authorized, Human Resource representative of the company. This form may be picked up at the Cashier's office.

Senior citizen tuition waiver

Any resident of the State of Maryland who is 60 years or older by the start date of a State-supported course shall be exempt from the payment of credit or noncredit tuition, provided course space is available. Students who qualify for the senior tuition waiver must notify the Cashier's Office of their age eligibility. Seniors can call 443.412.2208.

NOTE: All fees must be paid regardless of the waiver of tuition.

(See Code of Maryland Regulations, Title 16. 16. 106)

disability tuition waiver

Effective Winter 2012, the Maryland General Assembly passed legislation regarding Tuition Waivers for Disabled Individuals attending community colleges.

To receive the Disability Tuition Waiver, you must be a Maryland resident and be receiving disability benefits from one of the following retirement systems:

Social Security Administration: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), Railroad Retirement Board, or A Federal Retirement/Pension System for former federal employees receiving total and permanent disability.


  • Complete the FAFSA.
  • Complete a Disability Tuition Waiver Form
  • Visit the Financial Aid Office to receive approval on certification form
  • Submitted a certification form each term (Fall / Winter / Spring / Summer)
  • Once approved by the Financial Aid Office, submit form to the Cashiers Office.
Maryland foster care recipient

Students who have resided in a foster-care home in Maryland are eligible for a waiver of tuition and fees. The student must complete the FAFSA by March 1 of each year and be enrolled in a degree program. Contact Financial Aid for information.

Health Manpower Waiver

Out-of-county residents may be eligible for the Health Manpower Waiver if enrolled in an eligible state designated program. This waiver reduces tuition to the in-county rate. Students enrolling in the program will be required to pay the full amount of tuition (based on residency) by the payment deadline for the semester. However, at the end of the fiscal year (June 30 or later), eligible students may receive a partial reimbursement of the tuition paid. This reimbursement will depend on the level of funding received from the state for that fiscal year. The reimbursement would be no greater than the difference between the student's out-of-county and in-county tuition. Contact Financial Aid for information.


Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Waiver

House Bill 482 provides as exemption of tuition and fees to unaccompanied homeless youth who are enrolled as a candidate for an associate degree, Bachelor's degree, or vocational certificate at a Maryland public institution of higher education.

Qualifications: Students must be declared an unaccompanied homeless youth who is not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian and be defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act as a homeless child or youth. Contact Financial Aid at 443.412.2257 for details on eligibility criteria.

For Parents of Deaf or Hard-of-Hearing Individuals

Under House Bill 1384 (effective October 1, 2019), a parent of a deaf or hard of hearing child is exempt from paying tuition at a public institution of higher education for any course that teaches a language or communication mode. This waiver applies to tuition only and all applicable fees must be paid. Students should contact the Cashiers Office at 443.412.2208 to verify eligibility and request the waiver.