Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
peer leader talking to small group of prospective students

Apply to Harford

College is one of the most exciting times of your life and to be honest, we can't wait to help you get started.

All credit students must submit an application to attend Harford Community College. It only takes a few minutes to complete and there is no application fee. If you need to pause while filling it out, everything will be saved so you can return to it later. Be sure to have your personal information (social security number OR individual tax identification number, mailing address, phone numbers, email), emergency contact information, and intended program of study (your major) before you begin.

Once your application is submitted, expect to receive an electronic acceptance letter, typically within one week, via the personal email address you provided on the application.

NOTE: If taking a community education class or workforce program, the application process is built into your Registration.

Questions? Harford's Admissions team is available to help. Call 443.412.2109 or email for assistance.

Before You Apply

Although most students must complete the standard application to Harford Community College, there are specific requirements for students who fall into one of the categories below. If you are one of those students, refer to the dropdown instructions before you begin. If not, you're ready to take the first step and apply!

Additional Requirements for Specific Student Groups

Dual Enrollment 

HCPS students interested in dual enrollment must contact their school counselor before proceeding.

Complete the Harford Community College application. This is a one-time process while you are in high school. If you have already taken a dual enrollment course you may skip this step. NOTE: Your social security number will be required. 

Within 5 business days you will receive an acceptance email, via the address you provided on your application. If you do not receive the email, email with your full name and birthdate.

Under 16 Years of Age

For prospective students under the age of 16*:

  1. Apply to the college as a Dual Enrolled Student
  2. Upon acceptance, you will receive an email (sent to personal email address) from Donna Meek, Admissions Specialist, with information regarding next steps.
  3. Prior to meeting with an Academic Advisor, students under 16 must prove college readiness* by taking the Accuplacer® and testing at college level for reading, writing, and math. This step is not required for those taking a Physical Education class. 

*Proving College Readiness with qualifying test scores meets COMAR (state) regulations on college admission for students under the age of 16: "Students under 16 years of age are not to be admitted to an institution of higher education, unless they are deemed 'gifted and talented'." Harford Community College defines gifted and talented as any student under the age of 16 who can assess at college level reading, writing and math." 


Prospective nursing students must refer to the Apply to Nursing page before starting the application process. Acceptance to Harford's nursing program is highly competitive and not guaranteed. 

Military, Veterans, and families

Those who plan to use VA benefits or any type of military funding to attend Harford Community College should complete the Harford Community College application and indicate their military affiliation where required. Once the application has been submitted, refer to the Military, Veterans and Families page for your next steps.

Out-of-State Online students

Before applying to Harford Community College, out-of-state online students must read and agree to the terms and information set forth by the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements. Contact admissions with questions.

NON US Citizen

Permanent Residents, Refugees, and Asylees of the U.S. are strongly encouraged to apply in person at the Admissions office on campus as applicants MUST provide proof of their valid immigration status in person to complete the application. Photocopies of immigration documents will not be accepted.

International Students with F1 Visa

All international students applying to Harford Community College must first complete an International Student Application.

Students currently living outside of the U.S., including international athletes (new and transfer students) must apply for an F-1 visa.

For current F-1 students in the U.S. who wish to transfer to Harford Community College, refer to Harford's transfer information.

For those currently holding a nonimmigrant visa and wish to apply for an F-1 visa, you must apply for a Change of Status (COS).

Visiting F-1 Students For application information and requirements for F-1 students at another college who wish to take a class at Harford Community College should contact the College

Jeanne Goss, Academic Advisor for Admissions and PDSO (Primary Designated SEVIS Official) 

Other Visa holders

Applicants who hold visas in a category other than F-1 (student visa), such as B-1/B-2, J-1, H-1B, are strongly encouraged to apply in person at the Admissions office on campus as applicants MUST provide proof of their valid immigration status in person to complete the application. Photocopies of immigration documents will not be accepted.

Undocumented Students

Applicants who are undocumented non-US citizens—individuals that do not have valid documentation of their immigration status—MUST complete a paper application or apply in person at the Admissions office on campus, and will be charged the out-of-state tuition rate. Maryland Senate Bill 167 (also known as the MD Dream Act) provides the opportunity for some undocumented non-U.S. citizens who attended high school in Maryland to receive in-state tuition (in-county or out-of-county tuition rates). In order to qualify for this exemption. Refer to the Eligibility Guidelines of the MD Dream Act.

Noncredit Programing

Harford offers Community Education, GED®, ESL, Adult Education, Workforce Development, and Youth Programs too. Learn more about the many continuing education options available to you.