Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation
military and veterans graphic

Military and Veterans

Serving those who serve our country is a mission that Harford Community College takes seriously.

Harford Community College is here to help you navigate your VA education benefits and ensure that the dedication and time you and your family give our country is reciprocated by providing you with the education you want and deserve.

Thank you for your service and we are proud you have chosen Harford for your academic advancement.

* Military and Veteran students who wish to use VA benefits toward a noncredit training program should refer to Career and Workforce Funding.

Next Steps to Enroll

Once you have applied to the College, expect to receive your acceptance letter within five business days. It will be emailed to the address you provided on your application. Follow the instructions in your acceptance letter and if needed, refer to the Next Steps webpage. Be sure to set up your OwlNet and OwlMail accounts as soon as possible as this is how we will communicate important information from this point forward. Next, visit the circulation desk at the Library (2nd floor) to obtain your Harford ID card.

Submit military and college transcripts

All military/veteran students must request and submit official, sealed military and college transcripts. If sent directly from the issuing institution, send to:

Harford Community College
attn: Registration & Records
401 Thomas Run Rd, Bel Air, MD 21015

Electronic transcripts can be received by Harford through the USM Electronic Transcript System if the issuing institution is a registered participant. If the issuing institution uses other secure electronic transcript reporting systems such as Parchment, ScriptSafe or Docufide, transcripts may be received at

Military transcripts for Army, Marine Corps, Navy, and Coast Guard can be obtained through the Joint Services Transcript website. Air Force transcripts can be obtained through the Air University website.

NOTE:  If you have taken AT, ACT, PARCC, Accuplacer®, GED®, AP or IB tests OR have a high school cumulative GPA of 3.0 (unweighted), request that those scores be sent to Harford Community College for review. You may already be considered College and Career Ready and exempt from placement testing. 

Placement Testing

Once your transcripts have been sent, allow five business days for processing then email with your name and H-number (found in your acceptance letter). An admissions specialist will contact you to review the Exemption for Placement Tests to determine if you are exempt or if you need to sit for the Accuplacer® academic skills assessment tests. Testing takes approximately 90 minutes and may be completed on campus in Maryland Hall during Test Center hours. Practice exams are available. To complete the test on Aberdeen Proving Ground, call 443.412.2100 to schedule a time.

Advising and Priority registration

Prior to registration, both new and transferring military and veteran students should schedule a My Academic Plan (MAP) session with advising to ensure all of your courses are eligible for VA benefits and you receive the proper registration guidance as a military/veteran student.

NOTE: To receive VA benefits you must be enrolled in a degree ending program (e.g. Nursing Prep is not a degree ending program).

Priority Registration
Harford Community College offers priority registration to veteran/military students from any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States, including the National Guard and the Military Reserves and those who received an Honorable or a Certificate of Satisfactory Completion of Military Service.

Discuss with your advisor for the exact date you are allowed to register.

Pay for Classes

If using Military Tuition Assistance (TA):

If using Veteran’s Benefits (VA):
The following documents must be emailed to or hand delivered to Financial Aid (upper level, Student Center) or to the APG Office located on Post in the Soldier Support Center. This should be done as soon as possible after you register.

  • Certificate of Eligibility Letter from the VA
  • Completed Request for Certification Form
  • Copy of your DD214 if you are not a dependent.

Students utilizing Chapter 33 and 31 do not need to make payment arrangements as funds go directly to the College.

Students using Chapters 35, 30, 1606, and 1607 must arrange payment through OwlNet>All About Me tab or in person at the Cashier’s Office (lower level of the Student Center). 

Steps to Using VA Benefits

Apply for GI Bill® and obtain Certificate of Eligibility Letter
  • Apply for benefits.
  • Once you apply, the VA takes, on average, takes 30 days to make a decision regarding your benefits. Apply early so you are able to submit your eligibility letter at least two weeks before the semester begins. 
  • It is highly advised to print or screenshot the confirmation page when you apply for benefits. This can be used for your first semester at Harford Community College.

Use the GI Bill® Comparison Tool for information regarding housing allowance and tuition. 

NOTE: Harford's Military and Veterans Office is not part of the VA. We can give general information however, questions regarding account specifics, which chapter benefits you have, the percentage covered, and how many months of benefits you have left must be directed to the VA. Contact the GI Bill Hotline at 1.888.442.4551.


Request Certification Form

Complete and sign the Request Certification Form.

The form can also be accessed by logging in to OwlNet>All About Me> right column under Quick Links or in person at the Financial Aid office (upper level, Students Center)

Submit DD214, Member 4

Submit your DD214, Member 4 to Military and Veterans Services. If you are a dependent using Chapter 35 or Chapter 33 benefits that were transferred to you, this step is not required. 

Information to Review
  • Military and Veterans Services cannot certify your classes until you are registered and all documentation is received.
  • Only degree-ending programs are eligible for benefits. Nursing Prep and Undecided are not allowed.
  • The VA considers 7+ credits part time, 9+ credits three-quarters time, and 12+ credits full time. You must carry these credits for the entire semester to be eligible for housing allowance. For example, if you register for 4 credits for the first half of the semester and 7 credits for the second half, you will receive half of your housing allowance but ONLY for the second half of the semester (7 credits=part time). Specific questions should be discussed with your advisor prior to registration.
  • You must order your official Joint Services Transcripts (JST) and transcripts from any previous colleges you have attended during your first semester at Harford. Questions about transcripts can be sent to
  • Should you withdraw or not attend classes after the 100% refund date, you will owe the VA for any housing allowance overpayments, and the College for the tuition and fees.
  • To receive housing allowance, you must take at least one of your required classes in-person each semester

Using Military Tuition Assistance Benefits

Each service branch varies in their application process, criteria for eligibility, service obligation, and restrictions. Service members choosing to use Tuition Assistance (TA) benefits should follow the links and directions for their specific service. Students must be approved by their Education Center prior to enrolling in classes. It is highly advised to begin this process early (60 days prior to the start of the semester) as Tuition Assistance must be approved at least 7 days before classes begin.

Once approved, email your TA Authorization Letter to

NOTE: Tuition Assistance does not cover fees, only tuition.