Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation

Military Scholarships

Scholarships and financial assistance are available for active duty, veterans, and family members.

Amounts awarded and eligibility requirements vary so read the details carefully and reach out to the contacts for each if you have questions.

Military Spouse Career Advancement Scholarship

The MyCAA Scholarship is a workforce development program that provides up to $4,000 of tuition assistance to eligible military spouses. The scholarship helps military spouses pursue licenses, certificates, certifications or associate degrees necessary to gain employment in high demand, high growth portable career fields and occupations. Spouses may use their MyCAA funds at any academic institution approved for participation in the MyCAA Scholarship.

Spouses of service members on active duty in pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2 and O-1 to O-2 who can start and complete their coursework while their military sponsor is on Title 10 military orders, including spouses married to members of the National Guard and reserve component in these same pay grades.

The MyCAA Scholarship pays tuition costs for education and training courses and examinations leading to an associate degree (excluding associate degrees in General Studies, Liberal Arts and Interdisciplinary Studies that do not have a concentration). The scholarship also covers the costs for obtaining a license, certificate or certification at an accredited college, university or technical school in the United States or approved testing organization that expands employment or portable career opportunities for military spouses.

Go to the MyCAA Spouse Portal and provide the required Spouse Profile information. A real-time DEERS eligibility check will confirm if spouses meet MyCAA eligibility requirements. Once confirmed, spouses can move forward and establish an Account. Those who do not pass this check will be provided additional guidance.

Contact a SECO Career Counselor  |  800.342.9647
Counselors are available MON–FRI 7 AM–10 PM EST  |  SAT 10  AM–5 PM EST

Fry Scholarship

The Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (Fry Scholarship) provides Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits to the children and surviving spouses of Service Members who died in the line of duty while on active duty after September 10, 2001. Eligible beneficiaries attending school may receive up to 36 months of benefits at the 100% level. Find out more information on payment rates. See our fact sheet which provides more detailed information. 

To apply, obtain and complete VA Form 22-5490, Dependents Application for VA Education Benefits. Send it to the Regional Processing Office with jurisdiction over the state where you will advance your education and training. If you are a son or daughter, under legal age, a parent or guardian must sign the application. When applying, you will be required to make an irrevocable election between the Fry Scholarship and the Dependents' Educational Assistance (DEA) program to receive benefits. Children of a Service Member who died in the line of duty prior to August 1, 2011 may be eligible for both DEA and Fry but they cannot be used at the same time.

Children and surviving spouses of an active duty member of the Armed Forces who died in the line of duty on or after September 11, 2001 are eligible for this benefit.

Children are eligible as of their 18th birthday (unless they have already graduated high school).

Spouses lose eligibility to this benefit upon remarriage. If they became eligible before January 1, 2013 they are limited to 15 years to use the benefit.

If you are eligible for both Fry Scholarship and DEA (Dependents Educational Assistance), you will be required to make an irrevocable election between the two programs when you apply. Learn more.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at

Conroy Scholarship

Edward T. and Mary A. Conroy Memorial Scholarship Program & Jean B. Cryor Memorial Scholarship Program applies exclusively to military members that were disabled in action or military family members who's loved ones were lost in action.

This scholarship is funded by the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) and administered by Harford Community College’s Military and Veterans Services Office.

The award is for Maryland resident undergraduate and graduate students who meet one of the following criteria:

  • Sons, daughters, and stepchildren of members of the United States armed forces who died as a result of military service or who suffered a service connected 100% permanent disability as a result of military service;
  • A veteran who suffers a service connected disability of 25% or greater as a result of military service and has exhausted or is no longer eligible for federal veterans’ educational benefits;
  • POW/MIA’s of the Vietnam Conflict and their sons and daughters;
  • Sons, daughters, stepchildren, and surviving spouses (who have not remarried) of victims of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks who died as a result of the attacks on the World Trade Center in New York City, the attack on the Pentagon in Virginia, or the crash of United Airlines Flight #93 in Pennsylvania;
  • Sons, daughters, stepchildren, and surviving spouses (who have not remarried) of State or local public safety employees or volunteers, or of school employees who, as a result of an act of violence either died in the line of duty or who sustained an injury in the line of duty that rendered the public safety employee or volunteer or school employee 100% disabled.

If you meet one or more of the above criteria, complete the application and submit it with supporting documents to Harford’s Military and Veterans Services Office by July 15th. Note that funds may not be available to award all eligible students. Under Maryland law, program regulations limit the number of Conroy Scholarships an institution may award annually to veterans who suffer from a service-connected disability of 25% or greater. 

The amount of your award may not exceed the equivalent annual tuition and mandatory fees of a resident undergraduate student at Harford. Awards to the sons, daughters, or spouses of victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks may not exceed the amount specified above when combined with any other scholarships received by a student based on the student’s status as a child or spouse of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

Awards may be held for five years of full-time study (12+ credits per semester for undergraduate students; 9+ credits per semester for graduate students) or eight years of part-time study (6-11 credits per semester for undergraduate students; 6-8 credits per semester for graduate students) or a combination of both. Audited and/or wait-listed courses may not be sued to reach the minimum credit hours required for full-time or part-time enrollment status.

Eligibility decisions are emailed to students. 

Other Financial Aid resources

The government offers additional aid for military service or for family members of military personnel:
Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) Scholarships
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Education Benefits
Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant or Additional Federal Pell Grant Funds

The following major national organizations offer scholarships primarily to active duty military, veterans, and/or their families:
American Legion
Paralyzed Veterans of America
Veterans of Foreign Wars
AVECO Scholarships

There are many smaller veterans service organizations around the country that might offer scholarships. Check with your local organization or try a scholarship search.

Scholarship searches also include:
Army Emergency Relief Scholarships's comprehensive guide for students who are dependents of military members and veterans - Scholarship Guide for Families & Dependents of Military Service Members & Veterans.