Skip to ContentSkip to Navigation


Grants also known as "gift aid" typically do not have to be repaid and are given to students who demonstrate financial need as determined by the FAFSA.

Grants may also be available through public or private organizations who offer money for specific programs of study, research or projects. Do you research and see what may be available to you.

Federal Pell Grant

The Pell Grant is one of the most popular grants and provides a maximum award of $7395 annually for the 2023-2024 academic year. It is typically awarded in two disbursements per year, fall and spring. Federal regulations do not permit students to receive a Federal Pell Grant from two different schools in the same term.

The grant is need-based and awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate a financial need. The amount of the grant is determined based on the your  Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and the number of credits for which you enroll:

  • Full time [12+ credits]
  • Three quarters time [9-11 credits]
  • Half time [6-8 credits]
  • Less than half time [<6 credits]

All students are urged to apply by completing the FAFSA.

Students enrolled full time (12+ credits) in the fall, full time (12+credits) in the spring, AND  at least half-time (6 credits) for the summer may be eligible to receive Year Round Pell Grant, allowing for a third disbursement of funds. Refer to Financial Aid FAQs for more info.

Students enrolled less than full time in fall and spring, may also have remaining Pell eligibility for summer. In this case there is no minimum summer credit enrollment requirement. 

Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant

The Federal Supplemental Opportunity Grant is awarded to students who demonstrate exceptional financial need and who receive Federal Pell grants. Awards are based on fund availability. The minimum FSEOG is $200 per academic year.

Institutional Grants

Harford Community College Institutional Grants include the Presidential Grant and Presidential Grant for Dually Enrolled Students (applications are available online), Merit Scholarship, Head of Household Grant, Active Military or Dependent Grant, and the International Student Grant (contact Financial Aid for an Institutional Grant Application for the current academic year.)

Maryland State Grants