Careers in Biotechnology
There's a lot to explore in the field Biotechnology—and it's constantly evolving and growing!
Biotechnology careers include positions like biomedical engineer and laboratory technician and biotechnologists are found in fields that range from agriculture and biofuels, to healthcare and biomanufacturing. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), biomedical engineers earned a median annual salary of $91,410 in 2019. The BLS projects 5% job growth for these professionals between 2019 and 2029.
Learn more about the variety of careers, salary ranges, academic paths, career advancement and job openings in Biotechnology.
Spotlight: Biotechnology at Harford
Sample of Biotechnology Careers
Molecular Biology and Genomics Technicians work with DNA, RNA, cells, and proteins. Job duties might include:
- DNA/RNA extraction, purification, and modification
- Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) for making copies of DNA
- Recombinant DNA technology
- Transformation (inserting new genes into bacteria so they can make protein products for us!)
Cell Culture Technician grow living cells in culture flasks, bioreactors, or plates. Job duties might include:
- Media preparation
- Molecular biology protocols
- Microscopy to count cells or examine cell structure
Agricultural Technicians supply farmers with tools to improve yield or quality of agricultural products. Job duties might include:
- Collect and prepare animal or crop samples for lab analysis
- Lab or field testing for pest or weed control, fertilization, & environmental data
- Disease detection or selective breeding programs for crops or animals
Biomanufacturing Careers include application of biotechnology to industrial manufacturing.
Biopharmaceuticals • Industrial enzymes • Human tissues and replacement organs • Biofuels • “Green” chemicals and products
Potential jobs include:
Biomanufacturing technician • Quality control (QC) technician • Quality assurance (QA) technician • Instrumentation calibration technician
Harford Community College Biotechnology Program in the News
Harford Community College Receives Biotech Award
Jackie Madden Named Northeastern Maryland Technology Council Visionary Award Recipient
College Receives Grant for Biomanufacturing Equipment from Scientific Bioprocessing, Inc. and BioMADE
New Certificate and Degree Programs at Harford Community College
Alumna Success Story: Summer Bottomley