Dental assistants are valuable members of a dental care team and greatly increase the efficiency of the dentist in the delivery of quality oral health care.
If you have strong communication skills, enjoy working with your hands as well as your mind and want a career with responsibility, dental assisting could be for you. Students in the Dental Assistant program will learn dental terminology, disease transmission, disinfection and sterilization, dental anatomy, dental records and charting, instrumentation, impressions and castings, radiation health and safety, insurance and billing and front desk responsibilities. This course also provides x-ray training that qualifies you to sit for the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Radiation Health and Safety Examination.
Dental Assistant certificate upon successful completion of the Dental Assisting National Board (DANB) Radiation Health & Safety Examination
NO. OF COURSES
2 + Externship (Students are placed individually at an approved dental facility.)
TIME TO COMPLETE
Approximately $3,200 plus the required textbook
- Must be at least 18 years of age and have a high school diploma or GED.
- Must complete the Reading (NGR) and Math (NGA) Assessments, available at the Test
(College-level courses and SAT/ACT scores (500+) may be used in place of the NGR and NGA)
- Must obtain Healthcare Provider BLS CPR certification through the American Heart Association (AHA); prior to externship.
- Must complete a Health Assessment, including immunization record; prior to externship.
- Scrubs are provided but students must purchase a Harford Community College patch at The College Store.
- Dental Assistant
- Dental Assistant Training (88 hours)
- Dental Assistant Externship (40 hours): Students have 6 months to participate in an externship upon successful completion of Dental Assistant Training.
What Can I Do When I Complete This Program?
Upon completion of this program, you'll be prepared to work in a dental office as an entry-level dental assistant, receptionist, front office assistant, or back-office assistant. After six months as a Dental Assistant, you may pursue a Maryland Dental Assistant Qualified in General Duties certification.