My teaching focuses on developing students as lifelong learners and engaging them in the process of science through undergraduate research experiences. I challenge my students to find at least one thing about biology that intrigues them and makes them want to learn more. As the Principal Investigator for BIOTEC Pathways: Expanding Pathways from High School into the Biotechnology Workforce (NSF 2000193), I am excited to create paths for students through HCC into biotechnology careers or further education.
- B.S. Biology, Saint Vincent College
- M.S. Biotechnology, Johns Hopkins University
- Impact of biotechnology outreach activities on high school students’ academic and career decisions
- Impact of undergraduate research experiences on students’ scientific identity
Scholarly/Creative WorkDiaz-Martinez, et al., (2019). Recommendations for effective integration of ethics and responsible conduct of research (E/RCR) education into course-based undergraduate research experiences: A meeting report. CBE-LSE, 18(2):mr2, 1-10. doi:10.1187/cbe.18-10-0203
Madden, J. (2017). [Review of Cat Wars: The Devastating Consequences of a Cuddly Killer, Marra & Santella]. Am Biol Teach, 79(6), 500. doi:10.1525/abt.2017.79.6.500
Madden, J. (2014). [Review Case Studies in Allergic Disorders, Oettgen & Geha]. Am Biol Teach, 76(5), 354. doi:10.1525/abt2014.76.5.12
Rappazzo, W.M. & Madden, J.A. (2013). Biochemistry & Cell Biology: The Science of Life Laboratory Manual. Dubuque, IA: Kendall Hunt Publishing Company.
- BIO 120 General Biology I
- BIO 124 Foundations of Biotechnology
- BIO 125 Laboratory Methods for Biotechnology
- GS 183 Introduction to Research Methods
- BIO 119 Biology for Health Professionals