- B.S., State University of New York, College at Brockport
- M.A., State University of New York at Buffalo (University at Buffalo)
- Secondary Social Studies Certificate, State University of New York, College at Buffalo (Buffalo State College)
- Ph.D., State University of New York at Buffalo (University at Buffalo)
- American business history: banking, casinos & gambling, politics
- Civil rights
- Oral history
- Distance learning
Karmel, James R., [Project Director] “Active Learning and Student Engagement: Understanding
the Civil Rights Era in Harford County, MD.” National Endowment for the Humanities
grant. 2019-2021. Harford Civil Rights Project: https://harfordcivilrights.org/
Karmel, James R. (2012). Developing public history at a community college. History@Work. http://publichistorycommons.org/author/james-karmel/
Karmel, James R. (2008). Gambling on the American Dream: Atlantic City and the Casino Era, London: Pickering & Chatto.
Karmel, James R. (2008). Maryland Outlook…..Michael Pollack’s Gaming Industry Observer, 13(18).
Karmel, James R. (2003). The Market Moment: Banking and Politics in Jeffersonian Pennsylvania, 1810-1815. Pennsylvania History, 70(1).
Karmel, James R. (2003). Teaching a Web-based History Course. NISOD Innovations Abstracts 25(19).
- History 103 – United States History I
- History 104 – United States History II
- History 203- American Military History
- History 204 – History of Modern Russia
- History 207 – African American History
- History 216 – Introduction to Public History
- History 283 – Internship in Public History
- Business Administration 113 – Introduction to Casino Management
- Public History
- Business Administration