Tuition Waivers

Tuition Waiver for Employees of In-County Businesses

Students that have established six (6) months or longer permanent, full-time (a minimum of 32 hours/week) employment with a Harford County business may apply to have their out-of-county or out-of-state tuition waived (difference only between in-county and out-of-county/state tuition) for credit classes. Employment cannot be seasonal in nature. The student pays the full consolidated fee and any course fees. A student's tuition will be adjusted to the in-county rate once the student submits the required documentation, and gets the approval of the college Finance office.  Students must submit supporting paperwork at the beginning of each semester to apply for the waiver. Once documentation is submitted, students should allow 5-7 business days for their eligibility to be approved and waiver applied to their account.  Timely submission of paperwork is required; this waiver can not be applied retroactively to previous semesters.

The required documentation consists of:

  1. A copy of two (2) recent paystubs (rate of pay can be blacked out; last 4-digits of social security number, name, address, date, and number of hours worked must be visible).

  2. The letter must be dated and on the employer's official letterhead, a statement of the student's full-time employment, signed by an authorized, Human Resource representative of the company (original must be submitted),

  3. If the employer's letterhead displays an address outside of Harford County, Maryland then the student will need to resubmit an *Employer In-County Waiver Form with the appropriate information completed and signed by an authorized, Human Resource representative of the company.

*The Employer In-County Waiver Form can be picked up at the cashier's office.

Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver

Any resident of the State of Maryland who is 60 years or older by the start date of a State-supported course shall be exempt from the payment of credit tuition provided course space is available. Students who qualify for the senior tuition waiver must notify the Finance Office of their age eligibility.  Seniors can call (443) 412-2208.  Seniors should note that all fees must be paid regardless of the waiver of tuition. (See Code of Maryland Regulations, Title 16. 16. 106)

Disability Tuition Waiver

The Maryland General Assembly passed legislation effective winter term 2012 regarding Tuition Waivers for Disabled Individuals attending community colleges.

Eligibility - To receive the Disability Tuition Waiver, you must be a Maryland resident and be receiving disability benefits from one of the following retirement systems:

  1. Social Security Administration: Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
  2. Railroad Retirement Board, or
  3. A Federal Retirement/Pension System for former federal employees receiving total and permanent disability.

Steps to Apply -

  1. Complete FAFSA
  2. Fill out Disability Tuition Waiver
  3. Visit the Financial Aid Office to receive approval on certification form
  4. A certification form must be submitted for each term (Fall / Winter / Spring / Summer)

Once approved by the Financial Aid Office, drop the form off at the Cashiers Office.

Maryland Foster Care Recipient

Students who have resided in a foster-care home in Maryland are eligible for a waiver of tuition and fees. The student must complete the FAFSA by March 1 of each year and be enrolled in a degree program. Call the Financial Aid Office at 443-412-2257 for information.

Health Manpower Waiver

Students who are out-of-county residents may be eligible for the Health Manpower Waiver, if enrolled in an eligible state designated program.  This waiver reduces tuition to the in-county rate.  Students enrolling in the program will be required to pay the full amount of tuition (based on residency) by the payment deadline for the semester.  However, at the end of the fiscal year (June 30 or later), eligible students may receive a partial reimbursement of the tuition paid.  This reimbursement will depend on the level of funding received from the state for that fiscal year.  The reimbursement would be no greater than the difference between the student's out-of-county and in-county tuition. Contact the Financial Aid Office at 443-412-2257 for more information.

Dually Enrolled Part Time Early College Admission
(Harford County Public Schools' High School Students)

HCPS approved high school students are eligible for a tuition discount under Maryland SB740. Home schooled students and private school students are not eligible for a discount on tuition rates.   Students must apply for eligibility through their high school counseling office.  HCPS will send the student a Dual Enrollment Verification Form with an approval letter.  Students need to submit their Dual Enrollment Verification Form (for the academic year) to the HCC Cashiers Office to receive the discount. For more details on eligibility requirements and how to apply, contact your high school counseling office.

Unaccompanied Homeless Youth Waiver

House Bill 482 provides as exemption of tuition and fees to unaccompanied homeless youth who are enrolled as a candidate for an associate's degree, bachelor's degree, or vocational certificate at a Maryland public institution of higher education.

Qualifications: Students must be declared an unaccompanied homeless youth who is not in the physical custody of a parent or guardian and be defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act as a homeless child or youth. Contact the HCC Financial Aid Office at
443-412-2257 for more details on eligibility criteria.

Tuition Waiver for Parents of Deaf or Hard of Hearing Individuals

Under House Bill 1384 (effective October 1, 2019), a parent of a deaf or hard of hearing child is exempt from paying tuition at a public institution of higher education for any course that teaches a language or communication mode. This waiver applies to tuition only and all applicable fees must be paid. Students should contact the Cashiers Office at 443-412-2208 to verify eligibility and request the waiver.