Frequently Asked Questions

How can I find out about education benefits available to veterans?

You can visit the US Department of Veterans Affairs website or call the VA at 1-888-442-4551
(1-888-GI-Bill-1) to speak with a benefits counselor.

How do I apply for my VA education benefits?

Visit the United States Department of Veterans Affairs website and complete the application or call the United States Departement of Veterans Affairs and speak with a Veterans Benefits Counselor at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

After eligibility has been determined by the VA a certificate or elgibility letter explaining individual educational benefits will be sent to the student.

How Can I Get A Copy of My VA Certificate of Eligibility for Educational Benefits?

The following website contains information on how to obtain a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility Online.

Veterans Information Portal

What documents must I submit in order to be certified for a VA education benefits at Harford Community College?

Where can I obtain a copy of my certificate of eligibility?

The US Department of Veterans Affairs will mail you a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility after  your eligibility is determined.

Where can I find the VA enrollment forms?

Harford Community College VA enrollment forms can be found on Harford’s website. They are also available in the Financial Aid office and the Veterans Affairs office, Room 214 in the Student Services Center at HCC.

How can I contact HCC's Veterans Services office?

HCC Veterans Services office locations:

  • HCC Campus:  Student Center, Room 214, 443-412-2421, fax:  410-272-0669
  • APG Site:  Bldg 4305, Room 207, Tiffany Morrell Soldier Support Center, 443-412-2100, fax: 410-272-0669
  • Email:

If I will be using chapter 31 benefits (vocational rehabilitation program) what guidelines must I follow?

Students utilizing Chapter 31 benefits need to submit the following HCC forms: VA Enrollment Form and VA Benefits Agreement and a copy of their 22-1905 form from their VA case manager. Chapter 31 Veterans benefits are determined by the Regional Veterans Office in Baltimore - 1-800-827-1000.

Chapter 31 students are assigned a case manager who will issue them a VA Form 28-1905 (Authorization and Certification of Entrance or Re-entrance into Rehabilitation and Certification of Status Form). The school can only certify the student for the specific program and dates listed on the VA Form 28-1905.

What is the VA 22-1999?

It is the VA Enrollment Certification Form that Harford’s VA Certifying Official submits electronically to the US  Department of Veterans Affairs to confirm your enrollment status at Harford.

When will I be certified by Harford?

You will be certified when the following requirements have been met:

  • All required forms are submitted to Harford's Veteran Services office.
  • You are registered for classes in the term for which you are requesting benefits.

VA certification are date stamped and processed in the order they are received. Once your certification is completed you will receive a confirmation email through your OwlNet email account.

When can I expect payment for my VA education benefits?

Normally, it takes 6-8 weeks from the date of certification. Call the US Department of Veterans Affairs if you have questions regarding your payments. 1-888-442-4551

How can I find out how much time I have remaining for VA education benefits?

You must contact the US Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 (1-888-GI-Bill-1).

Do I need to notify the Veterans Affairs at HCC if I add or drop any classes?

Yes. The VA office at HCC must be notified of any changes in your semester credit load.

How will I receive my "Kicker" if I am eligible?

Any money you will receive for your "kicker" should be included when your certification is processed by the VA office. If you have any questions you should contact the VA directly.

What is Tuition Assistance?

Tuition Assistance (TA) provides financial support for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of a Soldier's professional and personal self-development goals. Courses that can be approved for TA must be offered by colleges that are registered in GoArmyEd and are accredited by agencies that are recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. HCC fulfills both of these requirements.

Soldiers are eligible for TA upon successfully completing one year of service following graduation from either AIG, OCS, or BOLC. Students can take up to 16 semester hours of TA-funded courses per fiscal year.

TA covers tuition and course related fees only. The consolidate fees charged by HCC are not covered under this program.

All requests from Active Duty, USAR, and ARNG Soldiers for TA must be requested and processed through GoArmyEd.

What is GoArmyED?

GoArmyEd is the virtual gateway for Soldiers to request Tuition Assistance

Students who are planning to use TA must:

  1. Register with for classes through HCCs Registration and Records office
  2. Register for TA through GoArmyEd to provide the necesary funding to pay for the course

These are two separate processes, but both must be completed.