Military and Veteran Benefits and Waivers

Applying for Military Educational Benefits and Waivers

All students applying for Military Educational Benefits and Waivers must first apply for admission to Harford Community College and submit official transcripts from previous colleges to the Registration and Records Office.

Students must officially register for classes, and complete the application processes for the programs listed below.

Military Personnel and Dependents - Residency

Military personnel and their dependents stationed at a military installation in Harford County are considered Harford County residents.  Military personnel and their dependents stationed at a military installation elsewhere in the State of Maryland are considered residents of the State of Maryland 

Waivers and Tuition Assistance Programs For Military Students

MD National Guard Tuition Waiver

Members of the Maryland National Guard are designated as "in state" and "in county" for residency purposes and are entitled to a waiver of 50 percent of credit "in county" tuition. Additionally, all fees for classes taken at Maryland National Guard sites are waived. Student and class fees will be charged for classes taken at non-Maryland National Guard locations. Eligible students must provide a letter from the Maryland Adjutant General certifying that the member of the Maryland National Guard has at least 24 months remaining to serve or has agreed, in writing, to serve for a minimum of 24 months.

MD Air National Guard

Members of the Army Air Guard can receive half off of their tuition cost by:

  • Requesting a tuition waiver from 410-918-6478/6479
  • Taking the signed letter along with military ID to the cashier at HCC. Waiver letters must be submitted every semester
  • Paying the balance of tuition and fees due.
    Reimbursement for this expense can be applied for by contacting the State Tuition Assistance Reimbursement (STAR) program located on the Maryland National Guard site after completing course with a passing grade.

Army Tuition Assistance

The Army Continuing Education System has an automated tuition assistance program. The TA automation allows active duty soldiers to request TA and enroll in courses online.

Soldiers must request TA through GoArmyEd,  prior to the course start date or before the school’s late registration period.  In addition, all drops/withdrawals must take place through GoArmyEd.

Soldiers who fail a course will be required to repay TA. Soldiers who are unable to complete a course due to military duties must withdraw from the course through GoArmyEd to ensure that they will not be charged.

Army National Guard Tuition Assistance and Waiver

Members of the Army National Guard should complete the following in order to waive half of the in-county tuition rate. This does not include student and course fees.

  • Print State Tuition Waiver letter from the Maryland National Guard site and have it signed by the commanding officer. Take the signed letter along with military ID to the cashier at HCC. Waiver letters must be submitted every semester
  • To request tuition assistance go to GoArmyEd no more than 8 weeks prior to the start of class

Army Reserve Tuition Assistance

Members of the Army Reserve should complete and submit the following in order to receive tuition assistance:

  • Tuition assistance must be requested on the GoArmyEd this cannot be requested more than 8 weeks before the start of classes.

Air Force Tuition Assistance

Apply for Tuition Assistance online using the Air Force Virtual Education Center. This must be done through the Air Force Portal. There are six steps to completing the AFVEC online TA process.

TA is not authorized for courses leading to a lateral or lower level degree.


The Military Spouse Career Advancement Accounts Program was created to help military spouses pursue license, certificates, certifications or associate degrees (must have a concentration) required for employment in high demand, high growth portable career fields and occupations.  Additional information can be acquired by speaking with an MyCAA career and education consultant at 800-342-9647.


Spouses of servicemembers on active duty in pay grades:

  • E-1 to E-5
  • W-1 to W-2
  • O-1 to O-2

Apply for Benefits

  • Visit MyCAA benefits (spouses profile information is required)
  • Submit a copy of the Approval Letter and Authorization Form after they are received from MyCAA

Harford Waiver for Dependents of Guard Members Called to Active Duty

Eligibility is limited to dependents of a member of the Maryland National Guard or Maryland Air Guard when a Guard member is called to active duty for a minimum period of six continuous months of service.

To receive the waiver, the student must submit a copy of the Guard member’s orders to active duty and show their military identification to the cashiers. The student must provide waiver documentation for each semester the waiver is being requested.

Active duty status is determined by the date the Guard member is ordered to report for active duty – not the date the order was prepared.  If the report date is on or before the start of the fall or spring semester or the first summer session, and the activation is for a minimum of six months of continuous service, the waiver will be granted for that semester or the entire summer session.  If the activation occurs within the period of the fall or spring semester or the entire summer session, the waiver will be granted for the following semester or the summer session, provided the Guard member is still on active duty and the student provides required documentation.