Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal regulations require that HCC track the academic progress of students from the first date of enrollment at HCC (including while dually enrolled in High School), whether or not financial aid was received. Student's progress must be measured both quantitatively and qualitatively. That is, in addition to a minimum grade point average requirement, a student must complete a minimum percentage of course work and must complete the degree or certificate requirements within a maximum time frame. The Federal Student Aid program regulations make no provision for the concept of academic amnesty or grade forgiveness except as explained in Minimum GPA below.

Minimum Grade Point Average

Students must maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (or minimum GPA for major). Transitional studies course grades are calculated into the GPA for SAP purposes. Repeated courses indicated as Exclude ("E") on transcript are not included in calculation of Financial Aid GPA.

Minimum Complete/Pace Rate

Students must successfully complete at least 67% of cumulative attempted credits. Transitional studies courses (zero level), repeated courses, transfer credits and withdrawals are included in this calculation. A successful completion is defined as the grade of A, B, C, D, TR (transfer), ML (military) or AP (Advanced Placement). The grades of F, W, N, I, K, etc. are not considered as successful completion of the attempted credits.

Maximum Timeframe

A student who does not complete attempted credits or has changed degree program may exceed the maximum time frame for completion before he or she has earned a degree and will be terminated from receiving any financial aid at HCC. A student is terminated when it is determined they cannot complete their program within 150% of its length.  If a student changes majors while at HCC, or receives a degree in another major ALL credits taken in ALL majors while at HCC will be included in the maximum timeframe calculation. Transfer, repeated and transitional credits are also included in the attempted credits. You will also be terminated if your number of attempted credits is equal to or exceeds the number of credits required for 150% of the program length of the current degree. Students pursuing double majors may reach the maximum time frame standard at an accelerated pace. Students may appeal for the allowance of additional hours to complete their programs.

HCC measures the progress of each student after each semester or payment period. Failure to meet SAP GPA and Completion/Pace requirements will result in student being placed on warning. At HCC, students get one semester of warning. If student has not improved GPA and/or Completion/Pace rate by end of the warning semester, student is terminated from future financial aid until student is meeting SAP requirements. Students who exceed the Maximum Time Frame are not placed on warning; they are terminated from financial aid at the end of the semester when it is determined they cannot complete their program within 150% of its length.

Transitional Studies Courses: Courses below 100 level. They are noted with an*next to grade on student transcript.

Completed Credits: Any class on student transcript with grade of A, B, C or D, including transitional studies courses, repeated courses, transfer (TR) credits, AP credits, and military (ML) credits.

Attempted Credits: All courses on student transcript, including transitional studies courses, transfer credits, military, and AP. If a student repeats a course previously taken, both the original and the repeated course are counted as attempted credits.

Incomplete grades

If a student receives an I (Incomplete) grade for a course and later successfully completes the course, it is the student's responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office and request a review of their SAP status because SAP is not automatically recalculated mid-semester when I grades are resolved. I grades are not included in the GPA calculation, but are included as attempted but not completed credits in Completion/Pace rate calculation. If the I grade is resolved in the middle of a semester in which the student is currently receiving aid, and the new grade would cause them to be terminated, the student will not lose financial aid eligibility for that current semester. If the I grade is resolved in the middle of a terminated student's semester, and the new grade would cause them to be in good SAP status, aid will be awarded for the current semester. As stated previously, it is the student's responsibility to notify the Financial Aid Office if I grades are resolved mid-semester.

More detailed information about SAP can be found in the College Catalog.