Frequently Asked Questions

When do I contact Disability Support Services?

Students requesting academic accommodations for the Accuplacer Skills Assessment should contact Disability Support Services at least two weeks prior to when they plan to take the assessment.  Otherwise, new students should contact DSS at least one to two months prior to the semester in which they will be attending.  Returning students should contact DSS prior to the beginning of classes for the new semester.

How do I provide documentation of my disability?

Current documentation needs to be presented to DSS. Please keep a personal copy of all documentation you submit to DSS. DSS does not release copies of documentation back to students or send documentation to other institutions. This documentation should not be included with the college application.

Is documentation about my disability confidential?

Yes. FERPA laws protect the confidentiality of information concerning disabilities. Only the personnel working in DSS have access to disability-related information.

What are the procedures for obtaining accommodations?

First, you will need to contact DSS and let us know you need assistance/accommodations. It will then be necessary to complete an orientation to DSS and bring in current documentation of your disability.

Next, you will need to contact DSS to make sure your documentation was reviewed and to set up an appointment to receive accommodation memos. Please allow one week between providing DSS with your documentation and scheduling an accommodation appointment. Once you receive your memos, take them to your instructors and ask to schedule a time to speak with them privately. For more information, see the Guide for Students with Disabilities (PDF).

I am a Veteran with a disability. What should I do to receive my benefits?

VA Educational Benefits are not handled through DSS but rather by the Coordinator for APG & Veterans' Services in Financial Aid Office. Contact Ms. Janice Cassady by email to or phone 443-412-2612. If you are interested in receiving academic accommodations for a disability, please contact us to see how we can help you be successful at Harford.

What should I do if I believe I was entitled to different/additional accommodations?

The accommodation process is an interactive one. Consult with your Student Development Specialist in DSS if you have questions or concerns about the accommodations or services you believe you are eligible to receive. Try to participate fully in the process and exercise all due diligence in ensuring that the Student Development Specialist is aware of your needs.

DSS provides for the equitable resolution of complaints by students with disabilities alleging a violation of their rights under the ADA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Harford Community College has established informal and formal grievance procedures (PDF) to resolve differences regarding disability related accommodations.