Applying for an F-1 Visa

In order to be considered for admission, you must meet academic requirements, as well as requirements for receiving the Form I-20, the document required to apply for the F-1 visa.  Once you are granted the I-20, you must first pay the SEVIS I-901 fee then apply for the F-1 student visa through the U.S. consulate in your country. If approved for a visa, international students are required to enroll as full-time students with a minimum of 12 credits per semester during the spring and fall semesters; applicants accepted in the summer semester are required to be enrolled in a full-time course load in their first semester. F-1 students are charged the out-of-state tuition rate.

To understand the admissions requirements and application process, download the 2015-2016 International Student (F1) Admissions Application Packet. Read the packet carefully and completely. Contact the Designated School Official (DSO) by email to express your interest in applying or if you have any questions. 

Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit all forms and supporting documents together by the following deadlines*:

  • Fall admission: June 1
  • Spring admission: November 1
  • Summer admission: March 1

*If you are interested in playing sports in the Division I of the National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA), please contact the respective coach. You may be subject to an earlier application deadline.

Admissions Requirements for Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility

  • International Student Application and Application for Admission. International students may not apply online. 
  • Visa/Immigration Documents. Students outside of the U.S. need to submit a color copy of their passport ID page.
  • Proof of English Proficiency. If English is not your first language, you must provide proof of your proficiency in English. For students outside of the U.S.: We accept official scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). You must obtain a minimum TOEFL score of 500 on the paper-based test, 173 on the computer-based test, or 61 on the internet-based test to be considered for admission. For students in the U.S: You will be required to take the HCC Academic Skills Assessment.
  • Sponsor's Affidavit of Cash Support. You or your sponsor(s) must have the financial resources to fund your education and all costs associated with attending college. You must submit signed and notarized Affidavits along with current bank statement(s) and proof of income for each sponsor supporting your education. The balance of the bank statements must equal to at least $19,500* (*cost is subject to change). 
  • Sponsor's Affidavit of Room and Board. Since there are no residence halls or dormitories on campus, you must demonstrate the availability of housing with a local sponsor, family member, or friend, provide your own housing.  Submit a signed and notarized Sponsor's Affidavit of Room and Board along with a copy of your housing sponsor’s deed or lease. Students without local addresses at the time of application will not be considered for admission.

Recommended Documents

  • Official High School/Secondary School Transcripts. Although high school transcripts are not required for admission, your transfer school of choice after Harford Community College may require a copy. Note: Official high school transcripts are required for athletes. 
  • Health insurance. Health care coverage is highly recommended but is not required for admission. Note: Health insurance is required for student athletes. Athletes must submit documentation of their health insurance.

Contact the Designated School Official (DSO)

Jenny Lares
International Admissions Specialist
Phone: 443-412-2562 | 443-412-2000
Fax: 443-412-2169