Award: Associate of Arts Degree – Option in Arts & Sciences
For more information: Contact Dr. James Karmel,
443-412-2105, email@example.com; or Advising, Career,
and Transfer Services, 443-412-2301.
|No. of credits required: |
This option provides traditional freshman and sophomore
year courses for history majors and other liberal arts
majors transferring to four-year colleges or universities.
The curriculum provides students with an understanding
of their political, social, economic, intellectual, scientific
and artistic heritage.
Upon completion of the history program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate basic knowledge of the historical discipline, United States history, and world history.
- Conduct research to find and critically examine varied historical material, including primary and secondary sources.
- Successful history students will develop coherent and analytical papers, presentations, digital projects and other products using historical sources.
- Perform successfully in a baccalaureate program.
Students should be aware that each transfer institution has
unique curricular requirements. To facilitate transfer, students
should consult with an academic advisor early in their studies
at HCC and before selecting elective courses.
The history option helps prepare students for careers in
teaching, government service, journalism, editing and other
writing fields. Many employers hire history and other liberal
arts majors for entry level management and sales positions. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment for historians will grow 11% from 2008-2018.
Recommended Course Sequence
* Must complete sequence HIST 101-102 or HIST 103-104 or HIST 109-110.