Award: Associate of Applied Sciences Degree
For more information: Contact Kimberly Bell,
443-412-2648, firstname.lastname@example.org; or Advising, Career,
and Transfer Services, 443-412-2301.
|No. of credits required: |
This program prepares students for employment in the child
care industry in a management/leadership position. Students
will have the opportunity to specialize in teaching or in site
management of a child care center. There are two required
field placement experiences (135 hours each) in teaching in
a child care program/school and site management of a child
The student will meet the essential technical standards that include physical abilities and behavioral and professional characteristics necessary for the student to successfully complete the Early Childhood Education Program.
Upon completion of the Early Childhood AAS Degree Program, students will be able to
- Demonstrate professional teaching behavior including effective communication.
- Design and implement developmentally appropriate curriculum and instruction for a variety of students.
- Identify influences on development and compare theories of learning.
- Make decisions in accordance with legal and ethical standards.
- Perform management tasks necessary to direct a child care center.
- Summarize past and present practices pertaining to the care and education of young children.
The intent of the AAS degree in Early Childhood Education is
to prepare people for employment in the child care industry,
potentially in a management/leadership position. According to
the Department of Human Resources, expansion of the child
care industry in Harford County is anticipated in both the
non-profit and for-profit sectors.
Recommended Course Sequence
* EDUC 103 (The Young Child) and EDUC 104
(Materials and Curriculum in Early Childhood)
meet the 90 classroom hours required by the Maryland
State Department of Educationís Office of Child Care.