A Timeline of HCC

< BACK

  • 1939: Maryland Legislature approves creation of junior colleges.
  • 1955: Dr. Thomas Pullen’s report on MD Education, calling for state funding of junior colleges.
  • 1957, Sept 11: Harford Junior College’s first day of classes at Bel Air Senior High School
  • 1957-1963: Dr. John Musselman is first President of the College
  • 1961, April: Maryland Legislature votes to provide matching funds for construction of junior colleges
  • 1962, May: Harford County Board of Education purchases Prospect Hill Farm to house Harford Junior College
  • 1963, Sept 18: Groundbreaking ceremony for new campus on site of Prospect Hill Farm
  • 1964-1967: Dr. Alfred O’Connell serves as second President of the College
  • 1964, Sept 14: Harford Junior College’s fall semester begins with first classes on new campus
  • 1964, Oct 25: Official dedication ceremony for new campus: Aberdeen, Bel Air, and Maryland (originally the library) Halls were newly constructed, with two barns for a theater and a gymnasium, and several houses and other buildings for faculty and administration
  • 1965: Harford County Board of Education (as Harford Junior College Board of Trustees) authorizes funding for more buildings
  • 1965, July: “Dean of Instruction (later, Dean of College)” and “Director of Evening Division and Summer Session (later, Dean of Continuing Education)” positions created
  • 1966, Sept: Nursing program (associate’s degree leading to R.N. licensing test) added
  • 1967, Spring: Harford Junior College receives accreditation from Middle States Accreditation Association
  • 1967-1971: Joseph Hankin (formerly Director of Evening Division & Summer Session) is third President
  • 1968: Havre de Grace Hall, Joppa Hall (originally shared with Harford County Board of Education as Joint Vocational Technical School) and Chesapeake Center (administration and theater), and Susquehanna Center (pool and gym) all built by this time
  • 1971, July 1: Name changes from Harford Junior College to Harford Community College
  • 1972-1976: Dr. Kenneth Oosting is forth President of Harford Community College
  • 1974: Old barn razed for construction of new Library (became Student Center 2001)
  • 1974: Harford Community College more independent from County Board of Education: 7 of 9 trustees picked by MD governor, and 2 of 9 picked by Board of Education
  • 1976-1977: Ralph Jordan serves as President
  • 1977-1989: Dr. Alfred O’Connell rehired as President
  • 1989-1994: Dr. Richard Pappas serves as College’s sixth President
  • 1990, Spring: Commencement returns to Harford Community College campus, after 18 years at Hunt Valley Inn
  • 1994: Edgewood Hall (continuing ed, training, electrical ed, Sheriff’s Training Academy) built
  • 1995-2004: Dr. Claudia Chiesi serves as seventh President of Harford Community College
  • 1997: Fallston Hall built
  • 2000: Amoss Center – performing arts theater shared with Harford Technical High School built
  • 2000: New library built (where Alumni Hall, an original building) once stood
  • 2005-2010: Dr. James LaCalle serves as eighth President
  • 2006, Oct: Articulation agreement with Towson signed
  • 2009-2010?: Aberdeen Hall is remodeled with additions
  • 2010-2016: Dr. Dennis Golladay is ninth President of Harford Community College
  • 2016-2020: Dr. Dianna G. Phillips is tenth President of Harford Community College
  • 2020-Present: Dr. Jacqueline Jackson serves as interim President of Harford Community College

Share